Helpful Tips for Quick Healthy Meals
It is an absolute challenge to prepare quick healthy meals most especially if you are a working mother who has to attend to the needs of a relatively big family without much help. But there are ways to fix quick healthy meals if you prepare properly.
Experts agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Even though mornings can be a bit chaotic, you have to remember that eating breakfast will jump start your metabolism. With an adequate supply of complex carbohydrates, your sugar levels will be more controlled and regulated and will be better distributed all throughout the day.
The main idea is to keep everything simple and to plan ahead of time. Additionally, it’s also helpful if you pack your breakfast and lunch at the same time. Depending on your choice, you can go conventional or radical with your choice of breakfast. Here are some quick healthy meal suggestions:
- Pancakes served with fruits completed by zero to low-fat milk
- A wheat bagel with a cup of Greek yogurt complemented by your choice of fruit
- One to two loaves of whole-wheat bread with half a cup of low-fat cheddar cheese and a banana
- Oatmeal with milk and sprinkle a generous serving of your choice of fruit together with almonds and raisins on top
- One hardboiled egg, one wheat bagel and your choice of natural fruit juice
- One serving of your favorite whole-grain cereal, half a cup of yogurt topped with the freshest blueberries
If you are in the habit of cooking healthy meals then your lunch can simply be leftovers. Pack lean protein, veggies, and a small low fat yogurt. Prepare a salad the night before so you don’t waste time fixing it for your lunch. You can also throw together grilled chicken and veggies to reheat at work. Don’t forget to toss in a couple pieces of fruit as well.
Just like your breakfast and lunch, you have to prepare ahead of time for your dinner. But if you don’t have all the ingredients at home then you can be creative by using what you do have. Turn leftovers into something new and yummy. Here are a few quick healthy meal ideas:
- Protein or veggie burgers using whole-wheat buns, low-fat milk and your fruit of choice
- Pizza generously loaded with vegetables and your choice of natural fruit juice
- Roasted or steamed protein with veggies and a 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- Your pasta of choice complemented by your choice of sauce (that can be made from leftovers)
Salads are also very healthy and very quick to create. Here are a couple of salad ideas:
- Mix greens together with chicken, red onion, toasted pecans and add your favorite dressing
- Fruit salad; mix your favorite fruit together
Seafood salad; mix shrimp and baby spinach together with small tomatoes and your favorite light dressing